Monday 19 August 2013

Time waits for no-one.



I was recently browsing through one of the boxes we brought over to New Zealand with us, the one containing old photos and other memorabilia of days gone by.  I always get drawn into a world resplendent in nostalgia as soon as I see images of places and people that used to be part of my everyday life.  Memories come flooding back like a gentle breeze forewarns of a storm.  Feelings are awakened and more memories rekindled until I can close my eyes as the storm evolves around me.  I am in that place once more.  With those people again. No time has passed from the point the photo was taken till now.  Then I open my eyes and the storm of nostalgia abruptly ends as I fall to reality with an awareness of place and time.  Around me I see very little that connects who I am to my past experiences, just old photos.  The young and healthy guy I see in the photos is not the middle age man I have become.  It cannot be the same person.  A recent slip at work has left me creaking and groaning, unable to stand without a grimace, walking has become a shuffle, doctors appointments to go to, gentle exercises to do, egos to mend and self esteem to be nurtured.  It simply cannot be the same person.


No comments:

Mt Karioi

Mt Karioi