Sunday 23 June 2013

Reading Russian.

Another day has come to an end. A few events marked the day above the mundane of normal.  
It all began with a trip to the garden nursery which was thankfully closed.  Thankfully I say because in my head I have already bought a property, landscaped it and ready to buy the plants. While the first two are yet to happen, the third is dangerously achievable to an over zealous me with some cash in the back pocket. Somehow the idea of buying plants for a garden I don't have for a property I don't own, makes  my make believe residence more real. So, thankfully closed and real money saved.
After this, back to the shopping mall for some more winter woollies then home again for house cleaning. Oh, the magic and excitement of my life in New Zealand. 
The prize activity of the day however was yet to come. I'm good at reading maps, understanding instructions and even following operation manuals, but put a recipe before me and it is like I am trying to read Russian with the IQ of a fork. I see the words, I grasp their meaning and off I go a-cooking. But it never ends up quite looking like the photo. I study the Russian words again only to find the text appears to have changed. From 'one cup' to 'half a cup' or' boil rapidly' has become 'simmer gently'. Sometimes whole ingredients seem to have disappeared from when I first read the recipe.  Or new ones added. Needless to say the dogs ate well tonight. Goodnight.

No comments:

Mt Karioi

Mt Karioi