Sunday 21 June 2020

Toughen Up!

We have come a long way from living in caves while fighting off mega beasts and eating whatever we found, simply to survive to the next day.  We were as equal to all others creatures in the evolving ecosystems, liable to be eaten, defeated by the elements or die of starvation.  Then we got wily and developed tools and fire and thus began our journey towards modern humans. So, waking up in a tent to –4 Celsius this morning should be in my DNA, but it felt tough.  But as I thought about this, it felt like I had betrayed someone deep within me. The caveman who fought off mega beasts, the early tribal clans who clashed with their neighbours, the explorers from all continents who suffered great loss and hardship as did the cultures they encountered.  Then came a sudden realisation that I had become soft to the real meaning of life being tough. I just need to make another cup of hot coffee and get over it. 

No comments:

Mt Karioi

Mt Karioi