Thursday 24 October 2013

A day in the life of....

A little update on my job.  It’s great.
It’s not what I had seen myself doing or being happy in.  An office based position, computers, everyone wanting something from me and trying to keep everyone happy.  While I still recognise that there is a honeymoon period for everything, I can’t believe how much I am enjoying the environment I get to spend my day in.  I share a big office with another staff member who is not often around.  From two walls of windows I look out towards some low hills (Banks peninsula) and across a section of the airport where the International planes pull up and the planes that service the Antarctic bases stand to be loaded/unloaded. Apart from this, I hear the constant rumble of aircraft landing and taking off, giving an energy to the place which can only be described as enthralling.  From the staff room upstairs there is a sweeping vista of the airport and the snowy mountains beyond.  I have many visits to that room for a coffee break.  On my computer I have all the flights arriving and departing and if there is something out of the ordinary happening or one of the big military planes is heading off to the Antarctic I go up and watch it like a reality  TV show.   I don’t feel restricted nor confined to indoors.  I can step outside as often as I like.  I walk each day for at least half an hour, plus usually to and from work while waiting for Phil to pick me up.   What a great way to start and end the day.  Headphones on, great music, and the freedoms of life before me.  As long as I do what my job entails, I can organise my day completely as I want.  This often includes visits to other offices, or them visiting me, or a trip over to the airport terminals to stretch my legs among the travelers. And while I am there, just for a brief moment, I feel like I am about to fly off to another adventure. I have found myself in a position where I don’t feel I am struggling to achieve the goals of my job or to convince myself that I am happy here. Now then, the Emirates flight to Dubai is about to take off. Time to go and get myself a coffee.

No comments:

Mt Karioi

Mt Karioi