Monday 29 April 2013

Classic quotes


From time to time, we all tend to open our mouths with pearls of wisdom and passing comments then regret doing so before even finishing the statement.  It’s quite amusing when it happens to someone else, and absolute gold when they happen to be famous.  Here are a few I found on the net......
Prince Phillip is famous for putting his royal foot in it and he trod rather heavily on a trip down under when he said this classic quote to an Aboriginal Australian.
“Still throwing spears?”
Former US President Ronald Reagan had this to say whilst testing his TV microphone before going on air. Mr Reagan didn’t realize the live feed was up and running and he was speaking to the pblic.
“My fellow Americans, I’m pleased to tell you today that I’ve signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.”
When declining an invitation from former Chinese President Jiang Zemin to extend his China visit, former Russian president Boris Yeltsin said,
"I only have enough food with me for two days."
Former Governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger had his post terminated but the ex Hollywood movie star had this announcement for the public.
“I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman.”
American actress Joan Crawford (1905-1977) uttered these regretful words when being told Pearl Harbour was gone (destroyed).
“Oh dear, who was she?”
Actress and former glamour model Brooke Shields showed the public she was the right person to front an anti-smoking campaign with this intellectual comment, which must have been the fruit of hours of research.
“Smoking kills. If you’re killed, you’ve lost a very important part of your life”
Britney Spears has a few silly quotes attributed to her and I am sure there will be more to come.
“I’ve never really wanted to go to Japan. Simply because I don’t like eating fish. And I know that’s very popular out there in Africa.”
Former BBC TV sports commentator Harry Carpenter winced with embarrassment after saying this whilst commentating on the Oxford – Cambridge University boat race.
“Ah, isn’t that nice, the wife of the Cambridge president is kissing the cox of the Oxford crew.”
I don’t think I can beat that one so I’ll finish there.


No comments:

Mt Karioi

Mt Karioi