Sunday 12 February 2012

Queenstown, Raglan, Snow, Travel


Q has to be for Queenstown.  My original visit about 5 years ago left me feeling more than a little disappointed.  I had heard so much, probably too much, about the town and its bigger than life personality only to get there and think it was an empty hulk of a tourist town plumped up by the ‘you-have-to-go-there-hype’.  On subsequent visits though, I fell for the place and most specifically its dramatic location within the valleys of the Southern Alps.
R was either for Rain or for Raglan.  Rain because there is so much of it although I still couldn’t get enough of it.  Raglan because this is where I have spent many hours combing the beaches with Phil and the dogs, being tantalised by the every changing black sand coastline, the huge estuary, the flame red flowers of the Pohutukawa trees, the laid back pace of life and friendly charm.  There are more reasons why I love Raglan on this old post…………….
S is for snow and plenty of it.  Being so close to ski fields gave me change to really indulge in snow sports and I love it, love it, and love it!
T is for Travel as that was one of our objectives when moving here, not only within New Zealand but out to the Pacific Islands as well.  There is no corner of NZ which has not been witness to the Phil and John road show of adventure plus a number of Pacific Islands as well.

No comments:

Mt Karioi

Mt Karioi