Sunday 7 November 2010

A slight change.

Sometimes when I sit down to write, I get carried away on a philosophical tangent and I don't really know where that drive comes from.  I don't sit down with that intention, it's just that sometimes I like to enliven my thoughts through words and bring them in to the real world.  It makes me feel a little bit creative and most importantly, it makes me feel good.  The intention of this blog originally though was to be a means of keeping everyone up to date with the goings on in life here in New Zealand.  So back to basics and I will try to write more about what we are doing as opposed to the deep and sometimes dark bursts of philosophy.  Afer all, I also wanted this blog to become a personal record of this adventure as well as a means of keeping everyone informed of my life.  So, whats new.......?
Life continues to roll along and sometimes I have to double check dates for it really to make sense just how fast time is passing.  When I think of things I did a year ago, it seems like a few months ago, and so my entire sense of time and order are constantly being challenged.  In a few days it will be two years since we drove away from our farm, and that moment indeed does seem like a lifetime ago.  Everything since then thought is all as recent as yesterday in my mind and my emotions.
Work continues to grow and evolve in to a constant learning experience.  There is no monotony or routines at Hamilton Zoo.  I am always being offered opportunities to grow and to challenge myself, and I am always taking them.  I don't just go to work and to the basic zoo keepers role, albeit this is the most important and enjoyable aspect of my job.  I have been given opportunities to get involved in policies and procedures, education services and leadership and do not tire of these new inclusions.
Our mini-farm here has grown by two this past week, with the birth of two calves and another two expected sometime soon.  This is a much better outcome from last year where we only had two calves born, both still born.  I am selling the three geese however as they make a hell of a lot of noise and chase the chooks around the place.
A for travel, summer is here and so we have begun going camping again for the season.  In December we are going to be climbing Mt Taranaki, a volcano on the North Island.  In Februaury we booked flights to Vanuatu and in April we booked time to go on a week long road trip to the north of the North Island.
So that's us in a nutshell!

No comments:

Mt Karioi

Mt Karioi