Sunday 26 October 2008

It’s getting a little bit messy in my head at the moment. Quite a few things going on and I don’t seem to be able to control them. Sound a bit screwed up? Not really, just an extraordinary combination of disquiet, nerves, sadness and anticipation. In less than 3 weeks from today we will be leaving Australia and up to this point I feel that I have been in relative control of the processes we need to go through leading up to departure day. I have been free to pack at my own pace, rehouse animals at leisure and potter around feeling it’s all coming together. Suddenly and without warning, I now sense I am on a conveyor belt that will deliver me to the airport on the due date, at the due time. Along the way there are a series of events which are set in stone - necessary farewells, the last of the packing and finer details of departure. I want to be in control again.

But then, isn’t what this is all about? Adventure? ‘Adventure’ isn’t an orchestrated production of events set to thrill, it is an activity that comprises of risky and uncertain experiences. ‘Control’ is all about exercising restraint, showing discipline in personal and social activities or dominance over an activity. How can I expect these two concepts to meld? Now that I think about it, why would I want them to anyway? Exerting control over adventure will diminish not only the enjoyment of the experience but will also limit the potential outcomes and achievements. So, I will now take a step back and loosen the reins of insecurity and let this adventure continue to run free. After all, I have nothing to lose and so much to gain.

To be successful you must accept all challenges that come your way. You can't just accept the ones you like. (Mike Gafka)

No comments:

Mt Karioi

Mt Karioi