Tuesday 11 October 2011

An interview with myself.....part 2.



John Question: Do you see yourself staying in New Zealand for much longer?
John Answer: A little while longer, but not really sure beyond that.  There are a lot of changes going on at work at the moment, within the bigger organisation of the council and even within the New Zealand economy as a whole.  Things aren’t looking promising but we aren’t about to the flee the country in the dead of the night or anything.  We have flight booked to Tahiti next year!

John Question:  What is it you miss about Australia?
John Answer: There are the most obvious things like my family and friends.  They are by far what I miss the most.  Then there are a range of other things which I realise now, after being here for 3 years, that I took for granted.  I miss the wildlife, all the colourful birds with their equally colourful singing all day, I miss waking up to kangaroos staring through my bedroom window, I miss the colourful native flower displays which change with the seasons so there is always something to marvel at, I miss the high wispy clouds of summer and the heady smell of eucalyptus at night….I had better stop there before I do flee the country in the dead of night!

John Question: Is there anything like that which you think you will miss about New Zealand when you leave?
John Answer: Absolutely, I look around and see things that I feel are very unique to New Zealand and my time here and know that once I leave, they will be things I wish I had somehow enjoyed more.  I have met some great people over here, a few even that I would consider lifelong friends, so again, people top my list.  Other things will definitely be the beach at Raglan, it has so many moods and I have spent a lot of time there running around with Phil and the dogs. It’s a black volcanic sand beach and is always so beautiful in a rugged west coast way.  I will also miss the kebabs from the Turkish place on Brice Street; they are simply to die for.  I will miss the regular sound of rain as it falls soothingly all around, the vast expanse of green in a myriad of hues, being able to ski down the sides of a volcano, cheap trips out to tropical Pacific nations and again I will stop there because there really are so many things.

John Question:  Is there any message you would like the readers to take with them today?
John Answer:  Epictetus was a Greek philosopher who lived in the first century AD.  He wrote – “First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do”.

2 comments:

Eric & Franck au Japon said...

Hey John,

Then I have to come to New Zealand to visit you and the country before you move somewhere else. I want also to go back to Australia to visit the north and west sides. Always many travels plans. I'm just back from Myanmar.

Eric

Anonymous said...

Hey there JR,
Keep loving NZ, then come back to Oz to the birds you love. I've just spent 10 days in the Top End - Mary River, Kakadu, Arnhem Land, Katherine area with 9 Brit birders. Gouldian, Masked, Longtailed Finches, Sandstone Shrike-thrush, Red Goshawk at nest, and lots more. Magic stuff!
Er... who are you & Phil backing for Sunday? Go the Wallabies!! Have a drink at the Raglan Pub for me.
Cheers, GK

Mt Karioi

Mt Karioi