Friday 12 August 2011

Never enough.


When reflecting upon holidays past, I often find myself wishing I had enjoyed and appreciated the time more than what I remember doing.  I know it doesn’t make sense really.  In such cases, the perceived act of hindsight can become a curse.  Now here I sit, on the last day of a magnificent holiday to the heart of the New Zealand Alps and I can sense that thought looming again.  It is just waiting to flood my head with guilt as soon as I am back on home soil.  The longing to have created more fun and joy during this holiday has already begun to creep in to my head.  And it is this which now confuses me because I knew it would happen so I did try to amplify my experiences, thoughts and impressions.   I looked at every minute detail of the panoramas, so as to not miss a thing.  I breathed the alpine air deeply, filling my lungs with mountain freshness in the hope of remembering it better.  I ate glorious food with passion, using all my senses – the smells, the colours, the textures.  And yet, here I sit, wishing I had done more………..and so I learn, it just isn’t possible.  I just have to sit back and relax in this moment of tranquillity.
 “Once you have travelled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quiestest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.” – Pat Conroy

No comments:

Mt Karioi

Mt Karioi